OK how could I resist making an art journal page using Jane Davenport and Kylie Fowler supplies, especially now that Kylie is carrying Jane Davenport supplies in store I kinda HAD to make this page. I was inspired by the riot of colours in the new collage papers and felt like I needed to make an equally riotous and wild page. From there it was a short hop to Frida Kahlo as it’s Frida I think of when I think of wild and unrestrained.
While there are a few steps, all are simple and unrestrained and focus on fun and experimentation – so grab some papers, paint and some water soluble crayons or markers and have a play with me! Start by gluing collage papers over your journal pages using mat medium and then allow to dry completely.
Now it’s time to create the base layer for your face, use the Peace face stencil from the Fowler face series as an outline and paint in the shape using Ceramcoat Santa’s Flesh.
Use a water-soluble marker to sketch in the facial features, and mermaid markers and one of Jane’s stencils to sketch the outline of flowers in the hair.
Now it’s time to tone down the page a bit. Sketch the outline of Frida’s hair and then paint around the face and hair with gesso – make it as thick or thin as you like to hide or reveal the background details. While the gesso is still wet, use an implement to scratch designs into the wet paint – this technique is called sgraffito.
Time to add some color to the face, I used Aquapastels to add the base colour and they dissolved beautifully.
Outline all the main elements using paint in a fine line bottle – this adds a little boldness to the image and helps to separate the image from the background and make it stand out against the very bold colors.
Add final details to the image using White Sharpie paint pen and Inktense pencils.
The combination of pencil for details and white paint to add some lightness finishes off the image.
And the finished page is a riot of colour – worthy I hope of Frida.
Now there is no way to capture the layers and process in words alone, so I’ve filmed the process of creating this page so you can all watch and play along!
- Kylie Fowler – Artist Cellar Face Stencil – Peace
- Jane Davenport Splat Mat
- Jane Davenport Napkin Collage Papers
- Jane Davenport Aquapastel Crayons if you don’t have these you can substitute NeoColor II
- Jane Davenport – Mermaid Markers: Jellyfish, Beach, Bluebottle, Coral
- Jane Davenport Butterfly Effect Journal Stencil and Washi Holder: Flowers
- Derwent Inktense Pencils: Poppy Red, Chilli Red, Shiraz, Fuchsia, Apple Green, Baked Earth, Bark, Willow, Ink Black
- Dina Wakley – White Gesso
- Dylusions Creative Journal Large
- Liquitex Matte Gel
- Charcoal Pencil: White
- Pentel Waterbrush
- Wink of Stella Marker – Clear
- Sharpie Pen – Black – Fine
- Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint: Santas Flesh
- Sharpie Paint Pen White
I hope you’ve found a few new ideas in this page that you might like to try for yourself!